Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Some Things that have been Disturbing Me.

1. Someone stole the "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign off the gates of Auschwitz. Why? Why would you steal a gigantic iron sign? Especially one that is a huge symbol of the power of unadulterared loathing and the possibility of overcoming that? Who is really that sick? Who?!

2. I was over at some friends' house at a game night gathering. One couple was late because they had been downtown and there was a Trax accident, so they had to wait for their train, and eventually decided to walk back to their car. What had happened was that a man had tried to ride the trax by hanging on to the outside, and when the train turned a corner, he fell under it and his legs got cut off. He made it to the hospital, where he died. But the report that the wife of this couple gave was "Sorry we're late, someong got run over by Trax and we had to walk SIX BLOCKS to our car!!" And about every 15 minutes after that, for the next 5-6 hours, she reminded us "At least you didn't have to walk SIX BLOCKS to your car tonight!" "I can't believe we had to walk SIX BLOCKS to our car!" "I'm tired, and I don't want to play the games because I had to walk SIX BLOCKS to the car tonight!" "I'm so sick of going downtown, especially if I have to walk SIX BLOCKS to my car afterwards!"
Six blocks. Takes about ten minutes. A man died. At Christmas. He is dead. His life is OVER. But you had to walk six blocks, so we'll let you be the most miserable person on the planet.

Society is really taking a down turn, my friends.

1 comments:

jill said...

haha love your description of that story. man oh man 6 whole blocks.

Post a Comment