Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Thursday, June 28, 2012

I AM a Rocker Chick


So last night I went to see Rock of Ages which was offensively trashy and I don't recommend anyone to see it (and you know that's a big deal coming from me). But I also went to see Def Leppard, Poison, and Scorpions in concert this month. And I have come to this conclusion: classic rock music ignites my soul. Not just my body. Not just my spirit. My soul.

There were a few good things about the movie which I will use to illustrate why rock music is so wonderful.
  • Rock tells stories. 
The lyrics to rock songs may not tell stories over a plot arch the way that country and rap tend to do. It's much more subtle, but thereby more relatable and  intrepretable by a wider audience. The stories rock tells are about the every day lives of ordinary people. Take for example, the song "Let's Get Rocked" by Def Leppard. First verse is about an "average ordinary everyday kid" and the second is about an "average ordinary everyday dude," both who just want to live life their own way without anyone telling them how. Or "The Zoo" by Scorpions. About a couple who spend a fun night on the town. People do these things in real life. Everyone can relate to this. Then there is also the many, many rock songs that address the issues of humanity as a whole, such as "Humanity" by Scorpions, or "Bicycle" by Queen. Or "Bohemian Rhapsody."

One of my favorite Scorpions songs.
  • Rock is emotional.
 Anyone who knows me knows that there is little I love more in this life than passion. I'm in favor of anything that is done with passion. And rock is always done with passion. And it's not stuck in one passion or another. It's not always about sex, it's not always about drugs, and it's not always about rock and roll (although it is sometimes each of these). I've actually come to realize that a huge portion of rock songs are about trying to get through the mundane parts of life and feel alive once in a while. "Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world. She took the midnight train going anywhere..." - Don't Stop Believing: Journey. "When the bombs and the devils and the kids keep on comin', no way to breathe easy no time to be young" - Crazy on You: Heart. And another huge portion is about figuring love out (of course, this is the eternal question for all artists, and could be considered a sub-category to the previous). "I would try to change the things that killed our love" - Still Loving You: Scorpions. "I've been waiting for a girl like you, a love that will survive" - Waiting for a Girl Like You: Foreigner. Again, these are emotions that everyone can relate to: growing up, figuring life out, regret, infatuation/falling in love/giddiness depending on the intention. And my personal favorite thing about these rock concerts is that the passion comes through on the band's faces - all the members - and ignites the crowd.
C.C. DeVille of Poison killing it.
  • Rock just rocks.
To anyone who listens, there is a hinge that started in the 90s, where rock music changed. I think a lot of music changed, but rock was pretty drastic. Some people blame this change on Nirvana, but that's another blog post. So the rock that I am talking about in this post is not alternative, or heavy metal, or "soft rock" (whatever that is). It is Grade A, Premium, Extra Large ROCK. I'm talking electric guitars with solos in every song. I'm talking the drummer goes crazy and rips his shirt off every other song. I'm talking the stuff that takes incredible skill to play and blasting vocals to sing. The stuff that sounds different in every song (yes, that is possible!). This is why it imbues my soul with fire. It is not average, it is not humdrum in the background. It commands your attention. It is bright, edgy, glamourous. It is meant to be heard!
Scorpions rocking my face off.


So for those of you who might believe that rock is devilish, to you I say: if it is wrong for humanity to try to understand and then express itself, what is the point of living? I love rock and roll, so put another dime in the juke box, baby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment