I've seen a lot of concerts, but something about this one was different. I know a bit about the story of Ann and Nancy Wilson, and I'd been looking forward to seeing them in concert, interacting with each other, observing the sisterly bond. It was there: they complimented each other and talked of the support and talent they'd provided for each other over the years. I found that quite remarkable.
But the thing that really got to me was the courage of their concert. As a concert goes, the lighting was very simple, wardrobe simple, effects practically non-existant. But the energy flow from Ann and Nancy, and their performance - unmatchable. Nancy, a 57-year-old woman, was jumping around on stage during her guitar solos - she did a toe touch in the middle of the intro to "Crazy on You." And Ann...was unbelievable.
Usually in concerts, the songs are a little different from the recordings. Notes held a little longer, a few extra runs thrown in, whatever. But Ann was totally unafraid to mix up the tempo and sing whatever in the world came to her head, and pulled it off completely brilliantly. I wish I had a recording to share. But for example, after the second chorus in "Crazy on You," she slowed down so much, people thought the song was over (I knew better because I'd been waiting for my favorite line which hadn't come yet!). And I already knew she knows how to bust it out...but live, it was mind-blowing busting. She just sang...as though to stop singing meant to die. I felt like her heart, the spirit and the emotions, was tangible through the sound of her voice. I know it absolutely doesn't make sense, but I'm still blown away.
Knowing Ann's history, I thought about the things she must've gone through mentally to become what she is. To be able to stand on that stage and blast the ears and minds of thousands of people...you must have a ton of confidence, or a ton of gumption (probably both).
So I realized something, between "Crazy on You" and "Barracuda" somewhere. What's the point in holding back? Sing, whatever you want, as loud as you can. Do it differently than what people expect. Do it the way it makes you happy. You'll discover your boundaries and limits, and you'll become stronger within them, and gain the ability to stretch them. And no one in the world can rightly scoff at you for passionately pursuing something you legitimately love. It will be hard work, and you'll have to keep trying and keep getting up every day, but when you right the right note with the right power, the whole world will stop and notice. So just keep singing until you get there.
Thank you, Ann Wilson (and Nancy cause that toe touch was awesome!).




0 comments:
Post a Comment