Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Family and Consumer Science Major

So during this, my last semester, I have been wondering why I chose the major that I chose. I've loved it...except I don't want to do it as a career. Now that I think about things that I wouldn't mind doing as a career, I'm convinced I should've stayed with Biotechnology (my original plan when I was in high school), which I would've gone to the U for. Instead I came up to BYU-I and did English, and while I'm sure I learned a lot, it doesn't really feel like it.

Anyway, I am taking a homemaking class this semester, and so far we have had our home decorating unit and our sewing unit, where I made a throw pillow cover and an apron out of my old jeans (yes, I almost had an annurism cutting up my Vanity jeans, even though I hadn't worn them in almost two years). Next week we will start our cooking unit off with orange juliuses.

As I finished up my apron today (I had to turn it in or else I'd have pictures up) I was thinking how I really could get good at sewing if I had the opportunity to practice more. Just in the four weeks of this unit I felt that I improved significantly from the sewing I attempted in high school (reference to my Murray High quilt that is an inch or more wider on one end). I would've made wedding dresses (and I would've done it right) if I had majored in family and consumer science (and I would've spouted off advice to the brides during the fittings). As it is, I am probably going to just make wedding invitations since I can write, edit, and design (yes, I am obsessed with weddings. I am just like the girl on 27 Dresses, and I've almost been a bridesmaid that many times, too).

Anyway, this got me to thinking about my friend's house in Martinez, CA (just outside of San Fransisco). His mother was a master interior decorator. Here are a few pictures (I photographed nearly the whole house because it was amazing):
Kitchen
This was the faucet in the bathroom

This was a canopy over their patio


And this was their dog. Who's surprised?

2 comments:

Brynnella said...

Well, the great part is that according to my academic advisor, you can't get a career if you major in Family and Consumer Sciences, unless you wanna teach a high school. (just like an English major hahaha) Then again, she's also Professor Umbridge's evil twin.
But at least it's useful for every non-money making endeavor in life.
I would suggest you take sewing at some community college with a fashion or textiles program, because sewing is just a minimal part of the FCS major, at least a USU anyway, and I am guessing it's similar at BYUI. In fact they just took out the basic sewing and the culinary classes at USU :(

Redoubt said...

Best faucet ever!

Post a Comment